Posted January 2019
Join our team in Washington, DC. Communicate online with shoppers and businesses to make trade fair.
Fairtrade America works to spread the word about ethical sourcing to shoppers, brands and retailers across the USA. To better communicate in the media, we are seeking a talented and committed PR professional who will be responsible for increasing Fairtrade America's earned media presence.
The ideal candidate will be a fantastic storyteller who can best make use of our limited time and budget. They will also be passionate for the mission, highly motivated, organized, a great communicator, quick learner, and a self-starter. Great writing skills are a must to help tell the Fairtrade story.
This position will report to the Director of Marketing.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Fairtrade America offers a strong benefits package including 401K matched contributions, 15 days of paid vacation, 6 personal days, all federal holidays, parental leave, health and fitness credits, work from home ability and more.
To apply send salary expectations, resume, cover letter and two samples to show your versatility as an impactful writer to Mary Linnell-Simmons on email@example.com. Only suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
- Plan, execute and report on both earned and paid media activations, ensuring the resulting placements garner a broad reach. Activities should reflect the need to influence both consumers and businesses across multiple channels
- Facilitate the presentation and execution of media plans; manage updates, timelines, cross-organizational coordination regarding execution
- Prioritize media opportunities that will garner the best return, conducting competitive analyses and research of media alternatives to secure the best available placements
- Manage the media budget, getting the biggest bang for our buck
- Develop close working relationships with media partners and reporters
- Respond quickly and thoroughly to both positive and negative media in the market
- Write press releases and seek publishing in appropriate outlets
- Develop internal and external messaging guides and press tool kits
- Plan press trips (including trips to Fairtrade producers in Latin America, Africa and Asia Pacific) as needed
- Ensuring that Fairtrade America’s marketing, messaging, and branding efforts are consistent with the international Fairtrade guidelines
- Work across Fairtrade staff in the US, Latin America, Africa, Asia and Europe as well as with clients and NGO partners to get a better view of stories as they arise
- Commission design/graphics, photography, videography, audio assets, etc. as required
- Managing external agencies and consultants as required
- Other tasks as required. Evening and/or weekend work may be required during certain cycles of the Fairtrade America calendar.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years' relevant experience with a focus on successfully placing earned media
- Demonstrated ability to develop media plans that reflect the nature of speaking to different audiences
- Experience in planning, securing and reporting on paid media
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills
- Persuasive written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong presentation skills.
- Ability to respond quickly and efficiently to media opportunities and threats
- An independent, process oriented, self-starter with initiative and ability to effectively prioritize and multi-task
- Knowledge of design software (Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) desired
- Flexible, creative team player willing to step into whatever is required to get the job done
- Knowledge and commitment to Fairtrade and development issues desired