October is Fair Trade Month and there are so many ways to celebrate!
Celebrate Fair Trade Month and make everyday choices that will have big impacts on producers – choices like eating only Fairtrade chocolate, wearing ethical clothing, or sweetening their Fairtrade coffee with Fairtrade sugar.
What is Fair Trade Month?
Most small-scale farmers live on less than $1.25 per day.
Fair Trade Month is a national celebration of fair trade as a concrete contribution to the global fight against poverty, climate change and economic crises.
Fairtrade America hosts events during Fair Trade Month, celebrating the impact that grassroots supporters have on farmers and workers in developing countries. We work with community groups, NGOs, local cooperatives, congregations and students, acknowledging the power in each of us to make lasting change for a fairer global economic system.
Fair Trade Month is a great time for retailers to communicate their commitment of ethical sourcing to their customers. Businesses can promote Fairtrade products in store and/or online and Fairtrade America can help with point of sale materials.
12 Ways You Can Celebrate Fair Trade Month:
- Take to Twitter - Follow us and tweet this now.
- In fact, join our Twitter Chat on October 13th at 2-3pm ET using #FairtradeChat. Answer our questions and ask your own. Engage with the brands that make your favorite Fairtrade Certified products, NGOs supporting farmers, the environment and sustainability and people who have questions just like you.
- Request Fair Trade Month resources for your organization or event.
- Join one of our events. Check out our new Event page.
- Enter our prize competitions. Lots of your favorite Fairtrade products to be won.
- Use this Fairtrade Shopping List the next time you're out shopping.
- Find out if your favorite brand has Fairtrade Certified products. If not, ask them to go Fairtrade!
- Host an event – get your friends, classmates, or co-workers involved by hosting a Fairtrade event! Anything from a Fairtrade coffee and chocolate break to a movie night with a Fairtrade film.
- Bake or cook something Fairtrade – check out our great recipes.
- Get pinning! Make a board with your favorite Fairtrade quotes or products (get inspired from our boards here).
- Join the conversation - use the official hashtag, #FairTradeMonth
- Think about your next bite of Halloween chocolate - watch how Fairtrade in the Cote d'Ivoire has impacted the lives of cocoa farmers in the ECOOKIM co-operative