Communications Interns Needed for Spring 2014
Fairtrade America is looking for two spring semester communications interns to join the team during a dynamic and exciting time as we expand our reach and impact. At Fairtrade America you will work on behalf of one of the most cutting-edge models for change, to transform small farmers’ lives through trade.
- Helping to manage activities around fair trade-related events, including possible event organization and promotions
- Conducting research in order to help prepare social media posts, blog posts, web content, and other communications materials
- Designing and writing press materials, social media posts, fact sheets, etc.
- Researching information on journalists and media outlets
- Managing press databases
- Collecting and organizing press clips
- Other duties as assigned
- Student or recent graduate in communications, journalism, marketing or related field
- Interest in communications work in a non-profit setting
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Design capability desired (Adobe suite)
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow through
- Great written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, effectively, and professionally, and manage multiple assignments at the same time
- Good judgment, strong sense of integrity, confidentiality, and capacity to work with minimal supervision
- The Communications Interns can be based remotely or at the Fairtrade America office conveniently located in downtown Washington, D.C.
- The internship will require a minimum of 15 hours/week; flexible hours
- The position will begin in mid-January and go through mid-May; longer if desired
- Internship is unpaid; college credit is available.
Interested candidates for the spring semester should send their resume and a cover letter with start and end dates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fairtrade America is an equal opportunity employer committed to encouraging diversity in the workplace.
Fairtrade America (www.fairtradeamerica.org) is a recently established non-profit organization that exists to deliver upon Fairtrade International’s vision of a world in which justice and sustainable development are at the heart of trade practices so that everyone, through their work, can maintain a decent and dignified livelihood and develop their full potential. By facilitating trading partnerships based on equity and transparency, Fairtrade America contributes to sustainable development for marginalized farmers, workers and their communities. Through demonstration of alternatives to conventional trade and other forms of advocacy, the fair trade movement empowers citizens to campaign for an international trade system based on justice and fairness.
Fairtrade America’s mission is to work with businesses, community groups and individuals to improve the trading position of producer organizations in the global South and to deliver sustainable livelihoods for farmers, workers and their communities by:
- being a passionate and ambitious development organization committed to tackling poverty and confronting trade injustice
- using certification and product labeling, through the FAIRTRADE Mark (globally the most recognized and respected ethical mark), as a tool for our development goals
- being a leading and respected authority on fair trade and development in the US