Hiring a Senior Business Development Manager
Job Description: Senior Business Development Manager – Food Brands
Imagine using your talent and retail experience for something extraordinary!
At Fairtrade America you will work on behalf of one of the most cutting-edge models for change, to transform small farmers and workers lives through trade. We seek a talented and committed business development professional with strong retail business development expertise in foods category, to join our team. Play in a dynamic and exciting environment with a strategic array of responsible businesses, advocacy organizations, farmer representatives and international partners to accomplish our mission: a world in which all producers can enjoy secure, sustainable livelihoods, fulfill their potential and decide on their future.
- Oversee the development and growth of new business – both with food brands and private labels partners - developing and maintaining effective key account relationships
- Ensure business growth through directing and managing business development activities delivered in accordance with the organizational strategy
- Work with counterparts in the global Fairtrade system to develop new product offerings and brand engagement strategies
- Provide marketing support to ensure client engagement opportunities for promotion and marketing within the USA
- Build brand presence by educating potential and existing clients of the Fairtrade system through presentations, trade show attendance and public speaking opportunities
- Ensure proper communication flow among Fairtrade system partners to ensure best outcomes (in particular with Fairtrade Canada and Fairtrade International)
- Seek to alleviate obstacles to positive business opportunities growth in USA.
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the Executive Director
- Masters in Business Administration or related field
- 10 years of progressive experience in mid to large retail companies that includes business development activities and a robust network in this industry particularly in perishable and non-perishable categories
- Experience developing private label product lines and increasing brand sales in retail
- Demonstrated track record of business/revenue growth and new client capture
- Demonstrated success creating and implementing business development strategies, along with a thorough understanding of commercial markets and direct experience working with consumer products companies
- Robust knowledge of supply chain and product development
- Project Management experience
- Working knowledge and understanding of certifications is an asset
- Willingness to travel (primarily local)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Existing and strong relationships within food brands and commercial sector
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, and customer service skills
- Strong analytical and relationship building skills
- Incorporate use of a variety of market research services/tools in the identification of business opportunities
- Experience in developing short-term and long-term business capture plans
- Strong negotiation skills
- Spanish a plus
The Business Development Manager will report to the Business Development Director of Fairtrade America. It is a fascinating job within a growing organization based in Washington DC, at an exciting growth time – work should be considered very rewarding and stimulating.
PLEASE STATE YOUR SALARY EXPECTATIONS and look forward to hearing from you at email@example.com
Desired Skills & Experience
- Retail business development in food categories
- Supply chain knowledge
- Marketing & Sales
- Partner Management
Fairtrade America (www.fairtardeamerica.org) is a recently established non-profit organization that exists to deliver upon Fairtrade International’s vision of a world in which justice and sustainable development are at the heart of trade practices so that everyone, through their work, can maintain a decent and dignified livelihood and develop their full potential. By facilitating trading partnerships based on equity and transparency, Fairtrade America contributes to sustainable development for marginalized farmers, workers and their communities. Through demonstration of alternatives to conventional trade and other forms of advocacy, the fair trade movement empowers citizens to campaign for an international trade system based on justice and fairness.
Fairtrade America’s mission is to work with businesses, community groups and individuals to improve the trading position of producer organizations in the global South and to deliver sustainable livelihoods for farmers, workers and their communities by:
- being a passionate and ambitious development organization committed to tackling poverty and confronting trade injustice
- using certification and product labelling, through the FAIRTRADE Mark (globally the most recognized and respected ethical mark), as a tool for our development goals
- being a leading and respected authority on fair trade and development in the US